Banner

Banner
We Want You to Foster!

Monday, February 23, 2009

We have babies....

It amazes me how people can be so thoughtless. Someone dumped a mama cat and six brand new newborn (hours old maybe) in a box at the end of a driveway to a horse farm. What if the people at the farm hadn't been home? That mama could have died protecting her babies. Fortunately the owners were home and took the mama and babies in until they could find a rescue that could take them. My friend Debbie picked up the mama and kittens today and is their short term foster home. I know she misses having kittens around, so I'm sure she's loving it. I mean, she snapped 196 pictures in a short period of time!

We're quite happy the mama is there to take care of her babies. When we were neighbors (as opposed to me living in the "boonies" like I do now), Debbie and I once rescued four 3-day old kittens without a mama. It was our first experience and wow. Debbie was able to take them to work with her during the day (because ones that little have to be fed every 2 hours). I kept them at night. It was exhausting but again, wow, it was a very special experience. And Debbie ended up keeping one of the kittens.


This is from Debbie: "The kittens are now 5 days old, they were born Thursday, February 19th. There's 6 of them and I think 2 of the orange are girls and 1 of the black ones but I lost track trying to figure it out myself; they kept moving around on me :) Mama is super sweet and being a real good mama but doesn't seem to mind at all if I pick them up; she was a little uncertain, though, of the camera and as you can see used her leg to hide them from the flash a lot. Sorry, didn't realize I had so many of them until I got ready to send them; can't figure out how in the world I took so many in such a short period of time. I'm going to have to put them on a darker towel so I can get some better pictures. With all the white in the bathroom, the flash, the reflection from the bathtub and the light towel, I had to go through and darken quite a few of them; trying to take a pic of just an orange one in all that white came out mostly just a blur!"

Update: 3 orange kittens (aka "the triplets" for now anyway), 1 tabby, 1 black, and 1 tortie (with not much tortie markings but the markings are there). Debbie snapped another zillion pictures last night so we'll have more pictures later. We have "kitten pile" pictures of just the kittens. I held each one last night and Debbie got a picture. Little tabby is about the length of my hand.



1 comment:

cathy said...

OMG, you would think that spring has sprung. We
have babies at our shelter too!